Hello. I am a writer called Paul Brown. This is my website.
My books include non-fiction wartime drama The Ruhleben Football Association, true crime tale The Rocketbelt Caper, and real-life shipwreck adventure From a Blood-Red Sea, plus football histories Savage Enthusiasm and All With Smiling Faces.
My articles feature in publications including The Guardian, FourFourTwo, When Saturday Comes, and The Blizzard. My most-read longform features include How Four Americans Robbed the Bank of England, The Man Who Walked His Life Away, and Burgers With Muhammad Ali.
I focus on unusual true stories with bold characters and cinematic arcs, and produce original source material for film and television. My work has been set up for development at major movie studios.
Other stuff? I’m based in the North East of England. I’ve got a background in business and publishing. I’ve appeared on radio and TV, including BBC Radio 4 and 5 Live, BT Sport and Premier League TV. I’m a big football (soccer) fan and an avid reader.
I’m a member of the Football Writers’ Association. I’m the editor of the Medium publication Soccer Stories.
Further information and clippings are available on request.
For film and TV IP queries see the rights page.
For media queries and press materials see the media page.
- The Ruhleben Football Association
- Savage Enthusiasm: A History of Football Fans
- From a Blood-Red Sea: The Last Voyage of Daniel Collins
- Messages from the Sea: Letters and Notes from a Lost Era
- Sins Dyed in Blood: The Lost Pirate of Blackbeard’s Golden Age
- All With Smiling Faces: How Newcastle Became United, 1881-1910
- The Victorian Football Miscellany
- The Rocketbelt Caper: A True Tale of Invention, Obsession and Murder
Out of print:
Also, as editor and contributor:
- Wor Al: A Fans’ Tribute To Alan Shearer
- The Non-Beardy Beer Book